May Public Forum
Our speaker will be well-known journalist Paul Bongiorno AM
Paul Bongiorno is currently Contributing Editor for Network Ten. He writes weekly columns for The Saturday Paper and other publications as well as being a regular commentator on ABC Radio National.
He has a master’s degree (STL) in Theology from the Pontifical Urban University, Rome.
The Topic of our May Forum will be “Budget Equity?” This continues our theme for 2015: Equity and the Human Family.
Paul Bongiorno asks:
· Is a balanced budget a choice between benefits to the needy being cut or tax loopholes to the wealthy being closed?
· Is equity and fairness possible or even desirable in a market driven economy?
· Can or should ‘Commons’ be protected?
· What kind of economic system best reflects Christian values?
· Is the budget reflective of the needs and aspirations of the wider community or reflective of the lobbying ability of vested interests?
The Chair will be CES Chair, Bishop George Browning.
Time and Date: 7.30 pm Thursday 21 May, 2015
Venue: Australian Centre for Christianity and Culture, Corner Kings Ave and Blackall St, Barton
Cost: A donation of $5 is requested to cover the costs of the evening. Supper is provided. No need to book just come along.
A publicity flyer is attached . Please help publicise the event by printing a poster and displaying it.
The Australia Institute has put up a report called “Ideas for a Brighter Budget”. You may agree or strongly differ with these ideas but they could be a conversation starter. Why not check out the report at http://www.tai.org.au/content/its-revenue-stupid-ideas-brighter-budget.
· Thursday 27 August: Dinner Forum with Guest speaker Rev’d Tim Costello.
· Tuesday 20 October: Steve Hatfield Dodds discussing Climate Change
Recording of CES Public Forums
CES records our public forums and these can be found on the CES website; together with a transcript of the talk, whenever this is provided.
Our April talk by Dr Ken Crispin QC “The War on Drugs – Noble cause or Tragic Debacle” will soon be available. The first talk of the year by Rev’d. Dr Thorwald Lorenzen “Free and Equal: Towards a More Humane Society” can be found on our website: www.ces.org.au Just follow the links.
There are also links to other organisations and activities related to our forums.
In response to community grief at the deaths of Andrew and Myuran in Indonesia
Tonight - Wednesday 6 May, at 6 pm, the Anglican Church will hold a memorial service at St Pauls, Manuka corner of Canberra Ave and Captain Cook Cres at 6pm. People of all denominations, religions and of none are welcome. You will be invited to bring a flower and place it in a bowl of tears. We will sing Amazing Grace (as sung by those being executed) and one other hymn. The service will last around 40 minutes
The Catholic Archdiocesan Commission for Women invitation
· Presentation on “The trafficking of Women and Girls” by Sr Genny Ryan osu
· Where: Rheinberger Centre, Yarralumla
· When: 7.30 pm Wednesday 27 May
· Donation $5 to cover costs
· Enquiries to Margaret Ryan 6231 0664 or 0417 418 838
See website for information on the ACRATH Ministry: http://www.australianursulines.org.au/our-community-involvement/acrath