Our dinner forum will continue the 2017 theme “Seeking our moral compass”.
Our Speaker: The Hon Kristina Keneally
Ms Keneally was the 42nd Premier of New South Wales (2009 – 2011) and the first woman to hold that office. She was a Member of the Parliament of New South Wales from 2003 – 2012 where she served as Minister for Planning, Minister for Infrastructure, Minister for Disability Services, Minister for Ageing, Minister for Redfern Waterloo and Government Spokesperson for World Youth Day.
In 2015 Ms Keneally was appointed by the Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition as a Member of the Referendum Council to advise on progress and next steps towards a referendum to recognise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in the Australian Constitution.
Ms Keneally is an Adjunct Professor at the Macquarie Graduate School of Management, where she oversees the Women in the MBA (WiMBA) program. She has published many articles in academic and popular journals on religion, politics and feminism.
The Topic: “The Getting of Wisdom: A Private Faith. A Public Christian”
Forum Chair: Bishop George Browning
Time and Date: 6 for 6.30 pm on Thursday 17 August.
Venue: Bella Vista Restaurant, 84 Emu Bank, Belconnen
The Bella Vista is on the waterfront near the footbridge and opposite Lake Ginninderra College.
Cost and Payment Methods: The dinner comprises a three course meal with wine, juice and tea / coffee. The cost is $50 per person.
You can pay by
· Transferring $50 to “Christians for an Ethical Society”, BSB 805-022, Account 03310199. Reference with “your surname Dinner” and also email booking details to email@example.com. Please advise any special dietary needs at this time.
· Sending a cheque made out to “Christians for an Ethical Society”, to CES, 15 Blackall St, BARTON, ACT, 2600, together with your name and contact details. Please advise any special dietary needs at this time.
Bookings Close: Monday 7 August
Publicity: Please use the attached flyers to publicise the forum amongst your community members.
CES Membership Reminder
With the new financial year, CES Membership is due.
· single - $15 or $10 concession;
· couple or family at the same address - $20 or $15 concession.
You can pay in person at the next meeting; or through the mail by cheque or money order; or you can transfer funds directly. If transferring funds directly please ensure you have as reference “your name Membership” and then email confirmation of the transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have not been a member before, could you please download a *membership form from CES website, complete it and forward it to CES.
If you are already a member and your contact details have changed, could you please complete a *membership renewal form and forward it to CES.
* To find membership and membership renewal forms go to www.ces.org.au, click on About Us and then find the link to the forms on the left hand margin
CES postal address is:
Christians for an Ethical Society”,
15 Blackall St,
BARTON, ACT, 2600
CES AGM will be held on Tue 29 Aug. More details later. Also, please consider if you have any free time to support the work of CES by joining the committee.
Audios of 2017 Forums are available
Audio recordings of CES forums held earlier this year are on our website: www.ces.org.au. A link can be found on the home page under the heading “2017 Forum Series: Seeking Our Moral Compass.”
· 16 February, 2017 - Seeking our Moral Compass" by Fr Peter L'Estrange;
· 19 April, 2017 - "The Politics of Love" by Andrew Leigh, MP;
· 3 May, 2017 - "Defiant earth: the fate of humans in the Anthropocene" by Clive Hamilton,
CES Facebook Group
CES has established a Facebook group to encourage discussion of current social justice issues. If you are on our mailing list, then you are eligible to join.
If you already use Facebook, just search for "Christians for an Ethical Society" in the "Search Facebook" box in the blue ribbon at the top of your home page. On the group's front page you will need to click on the "Join" button and then wait a day or so for our group administrator to admit you to the group. Guidelines on making posts and comments in the group are posted in the group - please read them before you post anything or make a comment.
If you don't already use Facebook, you will first have to join it. It's very simple to do - all you will need is your email address and a password which you have to think up and remember. You do not need to provide any of the personal details requested.
As members of the group you will get reminders of our forums and get access to discussion and up-to-date information on topics that concern us. We also hope that your use of the group will allow CES to be known by a wider audience, particularly amongst the younger generations.
If you do not wish to become a member of the CES group, you will still be able to view posts but will not be notified of new posts as they occur.
The Independent and Peaceful Australia Network (IPCA) invites you
FORUM: ‘War, Peace and Independence’
Time and date : 5.30 for 6 pm, Tuesday 4 July 2017
Venue: Reception Room, ACT Legislative Assembly, London Circuit
· Professor Ramesh Thakur - The UN nuclear ban treaty and Australia
· Dr Alison Broinowski -What dependence costs us
· Dr Mike Gilligan– Can Australia defend itself?
Enquiries: 0417 269 984